The Rhythms & their recommended Farming Activities
Activities Connected with the Full Moon
1. Sow seeds at times of low humidity and warmth (48 hours before Full Moon)
2. Apply liquid manures, including CPP (48 hrs before Full Moon)
3. Fungus control - Spray with BD preparation 508 horsetail 'tea' D5 potency, or Sodium silicate 0.5%
4. Insect control - Watch out for chewing and sucking insects: use a garlic/ginger/chilli pepper spray, Natural pyrethrum, Neem oil, or Stinging Nettle together with 5% Cow urine
5. Watch out for slugs and snails. Surround plant with diatomaceous earth.
6. Drench animals for internal parasites, on an empty stomach with, for example, garlic and cider vinegar. (48 hours before Full Moon).
Acitivities Connected with the New Moon
1. Avoid sowing seeds
2. Fell timber
3. Traditional Indian agriculture recognised the day before New Moon as No Moon day, a day on which no agricultural work is done.
Activities Connected with Moon Opposite Saturn
1. Sead sowing and Transplanting
2. Spray with BD preparation 501 in the very early morning on the day of or the day before the opposition to strengthen plants against fungus. For example, mildew and botrytis on grapes, rust on coffee, blister blight on tea, mildew on tamarillos, greasy spot on passion fruit, mildew on curcubits. BD prep 501 is not a fungicide but strengthens the plant to help it overcome the fungus.
3. Spraying BD 501 at this time improves the keeping quality and the taste of all fruits and vegetables.
Activities Connected with Ascending Moon
1. Sow all seeds
Cultivate on the appropriate constellation day before sowing.
For Fruits/Seeds Warmth constellation = Aries/Mesha
For Leafy Water constellation = Pisces/Mina
For Flowers Air/Light constellation = Gemini/Mithuna or Aquarius/Kumbha
For Roots Earth constellation = Capricorn/Makara or Taurus/Vrishaba
2. Spray with BD preparation 501 at early stages of growth when the plant
is recognisable, on the appropriate constellation day as above.
3. Harvest the following on an Air/Light constellation day = Aquarius/Kumbha
Fruit and Vegetables (not roots)
Plants for making medicines
Flowers and plants for biodynamic preparation making
Fodder for animals
Field crops, such as silage and hay
Activities Connected with Descending Moon
1. Spray BD preparation 500 in the afternoon - the soil should be warm.
2. Make and spread compost
3. Transplant seedlings and trees
4. Make and plant cuttings
5. Cultivate soil
6. Harvest root crops for storage on an Earth constellation day = Virgo/Kanya
7. Prune all fruit trees in the appropriate season on a Fire/Warmth constellation day = Leo/Simha or Sagittarius/Dhanush
8. Prune flowering trees and shrubs and roses at appropriate season on an Air/Light constellation day = Gemini/Mithuna or Libra/Tula
Activities Connected with the Moon Nodes
1. AVOID any agricultural or horticultural work during this time
Activities Connected with Apogee & Perigee
1. Plant potatoes at Apogee
2. Avoid all other seed sowing for 12 hours either side of Apogee & Perigee
Activities Related to Constellations
1. Earth Day = ROOT ACTIVITY
2. Air/Light Day = FLOWER ACTIVITY
3. Water Day = LEAF ACTIVITY
4. Fire/Warmth Day = FRUIT, SEED ACTIVITY
For an introduction to the Rhythms and Symbols click on these links.
You want to sow seed, or harvest, or cultivate, etc. but can't remember which is the recommended Rhythm for that particular activity -- click here.